Our Dog Savannah

Our dog went blind in December.  Three things happened to her, right in a row.

First:  When my Husband came home from work, one night, he walked in to some foamy throw up.  I thought it was one of the cats, until, all of a sudden, Savannah started throwing up the white foam and shaking violently. The throwing up was happening at least five times, and, her shaking was getting worse.  This was on a Tuesday.  My Vet happens to be open on Tuesday nights.  I called, told them what was going on.  I also told them, I thought she was dieing.  I was freaking out, my anxiety was through the roof.  My Husband took her.

After taking x-rays, she didn't find one thing wrong.  The Vet didn't even say what the shaking was about.  When my Husband brought her home, he told me that she had thrown up seven times in his truck, on the way there.  He said, Vet had given her a shot and he came home with more medicine.

The next thing I know, Savannah collapsed on the living room floor panting and shaking worse than the first time.  Her eyes were fluttering and rolling back.  I kept telling her not to die, while petting her.  We stayed with her for 2 hours until the medicine finally kicked in.  It was horrible to go through this ordeal.  We didn't get to bed until after midnight.

The throwing up foam happened, again, last Friday, with no shaking.

I was researching the symptoms and it seems to be a digestive issue.

Second:  She got a UTI.  Vet gave medication.  That worked.

Third:  A week after this happened, I was giving her a treat and noticed she wasn't focusing on it. A couple of days went by, the same thing.  I had to put her treat on her nose.  I mentioned it to my Husband.  He said he didn't notice it, until it did happen to him.

We went to the Vets, again.  She checked her eyes, didn't see anything, but, that didn't mean something wasn't going on in the back of her eyes.  She suggested taking her to an Ophthalmologist.  We did a week later.

It wasn't good news.  She has SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome).  It's irreversible.  It happens mostly with Female mixed breed dogs.  It can happen with Males, but higher percentage is with Females.  As of January, she is completely blind, now.  It's sad watching her bump into things and hasn't gotten to adjusting, yet.

Savannah is a Beagle/Bassett Hound mix and is only 7 1/2 y.o.

Then it was Christmas!!!!!  Nothing happened


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Robin Shawl

Black Friday Happiness!!!!!!!